Guacamole
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
written by cutiewitch


The tilte is misleading.....let me explain

As a Filipino, I grew up knowing that avocado is a very creamy and delicious dessert. Who can ever resist sweet avocados with milk and sugar?

But in Texas (I guess everywhere else in the US), avocados are side dishes, salad toppers and never, never dessert! Don't get me wrong, I love guacamole, that is avocados mixed with tomatoes, onions and a few more relishes. But I still want my dessert!

So, to curb my craving, I bought four (very small) avocados. They weren't ripe yet so I had to wait a few more days. After two days, my four tiny avocados still weren't ripe enough for what I had in mind so I decided to just go for it and try it sans everything but salt and pepper (as one of my patients recommended). Well, surprise, surpise...I actually enjoyed it!

Since I moved to San Antonio, I have enjoyed new things. I used to just eat cherries out of the glass (or can). I just recently had the chance to get my hands on the real ones and I got addicted instantly. I can eat a whole bag in one sitting. On the other hand, I think I have lost my interest on grapes which I used to eat a lot back in the Philippines. I have also learned to eat fruits with chile. It's an alternative to "alamang", salty, with just a hint of spice. Needless to say I love food and I am excited to discover more. I am not that brave when it comes to trying exotic foods but I will try anything that looks good and is palatable.

Additional discoveries: Hot and Sour soup and Gumbo. Let's eat!

 Subscribe to a feed? | This post has 0 comments. | Add one?